Problems with redefine

Topics: Resources
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2016 at 3:43 PM
I've asked a few developers to look at what ACORD 2.0 is doing and they've noted some issues with 'redefines'. Apparently W3C has deprecated this functionality. Because of this, some of the standard tools we use do not support this functionality. Am I misunderstanding what ACORD is doing with ACORD 2.0and redefines ?

https://blogs.oracle.com/rammenon/entry/xml_schema_11_what_you_need_to

4.2.3 Including modified component definitions (<redefine>)
Note: The redefinition feature described in the remainder of this section is ·__deprecated__· and may be removed from future versions of this specification. Schema authors are encouraged to avoid its use in cases where interoperability or compatibility with later versions of this specification are important.
Editorial Note: Priority Feedback Request
The Working Group requests feedback from readers, schema authors, implementors, and other users of this specification as to the desirability of retaining, removing, deprecating, or not deprecating the use of <redefine>. Since the <override> facility provides similar functionality but does not require a restriction or extension relation between the new and the old definitions of redefined components, the Working Group is particularly interested in learning whether users of this specification find that requirement useful or not.
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2016 at 7:35 PM
OK so 2.0 is not going to use redefines. Not sure why I had it stuck in my head that it was going to use them

Thanks.
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2016 at 8:13 PM
Yes sorry I answered this question during the call. We had talked about using redefines during the 2.0 presentation in November, Most tools do work with redefine. The group decided to just add it to all main aggregates and remove the need to use redefine.